torsdag 31 januari 2013


Today, I arrived in Jasper! I arrived early in the morning so I checked in at the hotel right away, to make it easy with my bags. I'd chosen the cheapest hotel I could find which was about 78 $ per night(≈ 550 swedish kronor). It was not as cheap as I thought it was going to be, so I'm hoping the next hotel is a bit cheaper. But, it's good for now! Here's a picture of the hotel, Astoria Hotel, and one of my room:
I've got a HUGE bed, all to myself, my own TV and a refrigerator(you can't see it in the picture) where I've already put my breakfast. I went to Wal-Mart after I'd checked in at the hotel to buy some groceries. I bought some fruits, yoghurt, bread, milk and some ham, so I have for breakfast tomorrow and I also bought some different snacks. I found some cookies called "Mr. Fudgey" and thought they looked yummy, so I thought I'd try some! I've tried one already and they were delicious! It's chocolate cookies with chocolate fudge cream in between. It's as good as it sound, I'll tell you!

When I had left all my things at the hotel I took the car and drove to Jaspers National Park. I had planned to go to Jaspers Tramway to go with a tramway over to the National Park, but I found out that they had closed for now and doesn't open until April. So it was just for me to drive directly to their National Park instead! But it worked as well ;) The way there was around 6 miles so I arrived after about 15 minutes of driving and went to book a canoe. I had never went on a canoe before so I was a bit scared at first, but when I had gotten in the canoe I calmed down. I was going with three other people and a guide who told us about the Maligne Lake we were sailing on. She told us about Spirit Island and that it was the most photographed location in the whole world! I really understand why, because it was probably the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. It was such a beautiful place! I didn't even really pay attention to the guide while she talked because I was so paralyzed of the view of the high mountains, clear blue water and perfect shadows from the trees on the side of the water.


The ride cost 35 $(≈ 250 swedish kronor) and it was totally worth it. One of the greatest things I've ever seen!

When the ride was over, which took about two hours, I was so hungry I could eat a cow. I had checked out a stand close by and I couldn't wait to get some good food. 

The name of the stand was Cap'n Jaspers and their meny was packed with bacon! They had burgers with bacon, bread with bacon and salad and different salads with bacon. Luckily, they also had food without bacon, such as "North Atlantic", which was a burger, a lot of lettuce and North Atlantic prawns. I thought it sounded really good so thats what i choose. And while I was waiting for my burger and prawns to be ready I read on their meny, which told me about the restaurants history. It was actually built for charity! In 1978 John Dudley wanted to raise money for charity and thought that a few dabs would do the trick. From the beginning, he only had a small stand, no bigger than 6' x 12'. But still after 10 years, the stand was still there and had become very populair, so he increased it to 20' x 12'. Now, 19 years later, the stand is still populair, and they definitely serve more than just dabs! ;)

I got the food after about 10 minutes and the prawns were smoking. Luckily I sat outside in the cold(sometimes cold weather's good!) so it cooled down pretty quickly, so I didn't have to wait too long to eat it. And I'll tell you, I wouldn't be able to wait for it. When I took the first bite of the burger I was done. It was so damn good! And the prawns, they were perfect! Together with the lettuce it all balanced together. A really good and filling first meal in Canada! Unfortunately I couldn't find a picture, so you'll have to imagine it yourself!

Now, I've laid in bed for about 2 hours watching Canadian TV. I've sapped around and checked out a few movies, which they show a lot of, but nothing really interesting. So, now the clock is 10 am and I'm going to bed! I have a whole bed all to my self, so I guess I'll sleep quite good ;)
Today I've spent 78 on the hotel, 9.8 on Wal-Mart, 35 on canoeing and 3.4 on the Cap'n Jaspers. Total I've spent 131.2 $(≈ 900 swedish kronor), which was more that I had planned. I'll have to scrimp a few days now, until I reach Salmon in the US. But now, I am going to jump into bed! Have a good day, all of you! (Now, when it's friday night for me, it's early saturday morning for you, haha!) 

Sources

1 kommentar:

  1. I agree with you when you say that the hotels is not cheap. My hotel cost over a hundred dollars per night and that was one expensive hotel. Fun that you could ride a canoe for the first time and that you could eat a whole cow. Overall I find your writing very interesting and I will keep reading you posts :D

    SvaraRadera